Effective December 25, 2014
Students must be 15 years to enroll into a driver education course. The following is needed to obtain permit:
- Pass State-written knowledge test.
- Present Certificate of Driver Education (Form CDE).
- Original Birth Certificate and Social Security Card.
- Two (2) bills for proof of residency.
Visit the BMV website for a complete list of requirements.
Road Test Waiver
Driver Education grades are based on pass/fail.
CIESC may provide the final Road Skills Test if:
- Student successfully completes both the classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction with CIESC.
- It has been at least two (2) weeks after completing the in-car instruction.
The CIESC Road Test is not available if enrolled in online class only, traditional class only, or in-car instruction only.
Learner’s Permit Laws
New law effective July 1, 2015
Defined as “a license issued to an individual less than twenty-one (21) years of age.”
- Students that have met the following requirements may apply for their probationary license at 16 years and 90 days:
- Successfully pass driver education program (both class and in-car instruction).
- Held permit for 180 days.
- Successfully complete final Road Skills Test (with CIESC or BMV).
- Completed a fifty (50) hour log.
All drivers up to age 21 must adhere to the 180 day passenger and night-time restrictions.
- No passengers except sibling, child or spouse.
- Front seat passenger must be 25 years or older with valid license.
- No driving between 10pm and 5am.
- No cell phone use while operating vehicle.
All drivers that have not participated in a driver education program may apply for their probationary license at at 16 years and 270 days.
In order to obtain your probationary license, each student:
- Must schedule and pass the road skills test, with the license branch or with CIESC.
- Must hold their Learner Permit for 180 days.
- Must be at least 16 years and 90 days (after completing a Driver Education Program, 16 years and 270 days without driver education).
- Must submit to the BMV a log of 50 hours of supervised practice driving. A copy of the log can be found here.
- If participated in driver education, must provide the driver education completion certificates to the license branch or CIESC test instructor.
- Online Completion Certificate (on CIESC letterhead), and
- Behind the Wheel Completion Certificate (State Form 55745).
- If you completed the traditional class and in-car, only the State Form with sections A and B completed would be required.